The City of Austin is an equal opportunity employer. This means that the City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, public assistance, age, or sexual orientation.
You must complete all parts of the application. Read the job announcement carefully before you apply. Announcements may contain special instructions and requirements. Complete a separate application for each job unless the announcement states otherwise.
Important – Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application and applications without the supplemental questionnaire will not be accepted.
Applications can be submitted by email – Tricia Wiechmann, Human Resources Director email@example.com or mailed to City Hall, ATTN:
500 4th Avenue NE
Austin, MN 55912
Duties of the Human Resources department include:
- Serving as the City’s contact for the hiring process including – advertisement, receiving applications of employment, application review and interviewing process
- Maintenance of personnel files and contact for employee/employment relations
- Provide oversight and administration of employee labor agreements and participate as a management team member in the negotiation process
- Provide benefit oversight, coordination and assistance to employees and providers (health/life insurance, flexible spending, etc.)
- Ensure state and federal mandates related to personnel issues are being followed/implemented
- Provide employment verification (includes position title, employment starting & ending dates and salary)
- Serve as the City’s safety manager
- Serve as the liaison to the Human Rights Commission and Police & Fire Civil Service Commissions
Paid On-call Firefighter
POSITION: Paid/On-Call Firefighter
PAY RANGE: $9.90/hr. starting/training wage (approx. 4-6 months)
$14.40/hr. (after initial training period)
Plus contribution to a pension fund; calculated based on years of service
DEADLINE: Complete application packet (including supplements, see link below) is due by 5:00 PM, Friday, September 6, 2019
Applicants, please note!! Physical agility testing will be conducted on Saturday, September 21 starting at 9:00 AM and a written test will be given at 11:00 AM the same day for the candidates that pass the physical agility testing. Both will be conducted at the fire department. Practice for the physical agility, for those interested, will be held on Saturday, September 14 at 9:00 AM.
Pension: Each year, the City contributes a lump sum payment to the Paid On-call Relief Association, on behalf of each paid on-call firefighter. The amount of the contribution depends on the firefighter’s individual years of service (currently, $2,000 for 0-7 years; $2,500 for 8-12 years; $3,000 for 13-15 years; and $3,500 for 16+ years), these annual contributions are invested and accumulate in an account held by the association. At a minimum age of 50, dependent on years of service (initially vested after seven years), a lump sum of an individuals vested pension is eligible for payout following retirement.
If you are applying for an open (advertised) position, please see the application materials that are available under the open positions tab for the specific position you are applying.