FAQs Park & Rec

FAQs Park & Rec

Pool Hours


Adult lap swim Monday- Saturday 12-1 pm

Monday thru Friday 1-4:30 pm

Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 7:00-8:30 pm
Saturday 1-7:00 pm
Sunday 1-7:00 pm



  • If there is lightning in the area, the pool will be closed.  Pool staff will wait 20 minutes after the last bolt of lightning to reopen.
  • After the first hour and 45 minutes, if there are less than 25 patrons, the pool will close
  • The pool will not open, if the air temperature is less than 67 degrees or less.
  • If we are experiencing inclement weather, the pool will not open.

Call our office to check on availability at 433-1881 or stop in 500 4th Avenue NE.

Facility Rental

Parks are closed from 10:30 pm to 7:00 am.  There is no camping, no driving, no parking on the grass, no glass, and no hitting golf balls allowed in the parks.  The speed limit is 15 miles per hour.  For your safety and the safety of others, please follow these rules.  Violations of this ordinance can carry up to a $700 fine.

To report a property that is in violation please call our office at 433-1881.  The process will take approximately 2 weeks.




The City Council of the City of Austin does ordain:

Section 1.       Austin City Code Chapter 10, Section 10.13, is hereby repeated in its entirety.

Section 2.        A new Section 10.13 is hereby enacted in lieu of said repealed Section 10.13 and

should read as follows:


Subd. 1.  It is unlawful for any owner, occupant or agent of any lot or parcel of land in the city to allow any noxious weeds as defined in Minnesota Statutes Sections 18.77 and 21.72 or grass growing upon any such lot or parcel of land to grow to a greater height than 8 inches.  The following areas and types of vegetation are exempted from this provision if managed in a manner so as not to become infested with weeds or to create a stagnant, foul-smelling condition;

a.    non-noxious weeds and grass vegetation in wetland areas;

b. non-noxious weeds, grasses and herbaceous vegetation within 50’ of designated storm water ponds or within 50’ of natural or altered creeks, rivers and stream corridors, including riparian buffer strips, that convey water, provided they are cut to less than 10 inches at least once per year if located within 200’ of an occupied residence or developed property;

c. non-noxious weed and grass vegetation growing on land that has been agriculturally zoned land or has a history of being ag land, including pastures, that are fenced and contain animals, provided that a  buffer zone of 10 feet between the ag land and any turf grass area will be required;

d. temporary erosion control grasses;

e. maintained and weeded prairie, meadow or natural landscape vegetation that does not contain noxious weed growth and that includes the cultivation of native grasses indigenous to Minnesota provided that the property owner applies for and is issued a natural landscape permit, and maintains the property in a condition sufficient to maintain the permit.   Natural landscape permits are required if a proposed landscape includes native grasses that exceed or are expected to exceed 8 inches in overall height. Natural landscape permit applications shall be submitted to the Park Department.  No natural landscape permits will be issued unless the following requirements are fulfilled by the owner;

  1.   They are set back not less than twenty feet from the front lot line. For the purposes of this ordinance, corner lots shall be deemed to have two front yards;
  2.  They are set back not less than five feet from the side and/or rear lot lines to provide a transition zone. No set back is required on the side or rear lot lines if (1) there is a fully opaque fence at least five feet in height installed between the native plants and the side or rear lot lines or (2) the native plants abut a neighboring Native Plant Landscape Area;
  3.  The Native Plant Landscape Area is cut at least once annually between April 15 and July 15 to a height no greater than ten (10) inches;
  4.   Turf grass is eliminated and the native plants, trees and shrubs are planted through transplanting or seed by human or mechanical means. Soil erosion should be controlled while the ground is bare of plant growth that is sufficient to inhibit erosion and is the sole responsibility of the owner or occupant;

Written authorization from the City Administrator or his/her designee is obtained for work within conservation or scenic easement areas, including planting, mowing or cutting.

A violation of any of the requirements set forth above will result in the revocation of the natural landscape permit by the City.

f. grass and non-noxious weed vegetation in publicly owned parks designated as natural preserves or private property so designated by the City Council or natural undisturbed areas where the land and vegetation appears not to have been graded, landscaped or otherwise disturbed by human or mechanical means in recent time;

g. grass and non-noxious weed vegetation on natural or altered slopes steeper than 2:1; or

h. ornamental grasses;

i.  Natural Wooded lots.

j. No such person shall cause, permit, or allow poison ivy, ragweed, or other poisonous plants or plants detrimental to health, to grow on any such lot or any such land in such manner that any part of said weeds or plants shall extend upon, overhang or border any public place, or in such manner that said noxious weeds or plants are allowed to seed or to emit pollen or other poisonous particles into the atmosphere in a manner such that said particles are carried through the air into any public places.

Subd. 2.  If any such owner, occupant or agent fails to comply with this height limitation and after notice given by the designated weed inspector, has not within seven days of such notice complied, the city shall cause such weeds or grass to be cut and the expenses thus incurred shall be a lien upon such real estate.  The City Clerk shall certify to the County Auditor of Mower County, a statement of the amount of the cost incurred by the city.  Such amount together with interest shall be entered as a special assessment against such lot or parcel of land and be collected in the same manner as real estate taxes.

Subd. 3.  All individual notices provided for herein shall be served in the same manner as a Summons in a Civil action in the District Court or by certified mail.  Service on persons living temporarily or permanently outside of the city whose property is vacant or unoccupied may be made by sending the notice by certified mail to the last known address of such person, to be ascertained, if necessary, from the last tax list in the County Treasurer’s Office.

Section 3. Austin City Code Chapter 1 entitled “Rules of Construction; General Penalty” applicable to the entire City Code are hereby adopted in their entity by reference as if repeated verbatim herein.

Pick your plot out at our office.  The garden plots are located by Woodson Kindergarten Center and are 15’ X 20’ in size.  Water is available through a timed sprinkler.  Growing Inspires EatingGardening not only provides you with fresh fruits and vegetables, it also encourages you to eat them. Once you are blessed with a bushel basket of tomatoes, you will have newfound interest in finding recipes for tomatoes. What’s more, picking fresh produce from your garden is a great way to get children to eat fruits and vegetables. It is fun for them to pick their own lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers – and then eat them. Cost: $25 per plot.

No open burning/fires are allowed in any park other than in grills for cooking.  To use the fire ring at Sutton Park you must obtain a permit at the Park and Recreation office.


Pet owners or keepers are liable/responsible for the actions of their dogs and cats, thus must pick up and dispose of or take away the pet’s waste. Pet owners need to bring their own pet waste bags along on their park or trail visit and dispose of the waste bag in the closest garbage receptacle. Any unleashed or unattended animal in a park, parkway, trail, or open space will be impounded. Violations may be reported to the City of Austin Animal Control at 507-437-9400.

No more than 3 domestic animals are allowed per household.


The City of Austin requires your cat or dog to be licensed.  Licensing is required for animals three months of age or more.  Licenses may be obtained at the City Clerk’s Office.  You will need to provide proof of rabies shots.  You may provide proof of spaying or neutering for the discounted fee.

Spayed or neutered                 $10.00 (discounted fee)

Not spayed/neutered               $25.00

City Code Requirements


The Dog Park area is located East of South Main Street between 1st and 2nd Street SE along the north side of the river.    Owners must pick up after their pets and pets must be licensed to use the park.

PET RESTRICTIONS: Pets are not allowed in: Todd Park North and South, Marcusen Park, Morning Lions Park, Shirley Theel Park, the Nature Center, or Lafayette Park. Pets are allowed in other parks with the following restrictions: 1) Pets must be on a leash.  2) The owner must clean up after their pet.

PET EXERCISE AREAS:  Areas have been established at the following locations: east of Marcusen Stadium and south of 9 Avenue SE, the area west of St. John’s Church, north of 13 Avenue and west of 12 Street NW, the north end of Eastside Lake and south of 8 Avenue NE from the bridge west, and Whittier Park at 3 Avenue SE and 6 Street SE. In these areas pets may be off their leash but must be under control of their owners at all times.  Owners must clean up after their own pet.

The City of Austin has adopted a policy prohibiting the use of tobacco in all city facilities and at any playground/park location.  Please be considerate to others and abide by this policy.