The City of Austin is an equal opportunity employer. This means that the City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, public assistance, age, or sexual orientation.
You must complete all parts of the application. Read the job announcement carefully before you apply. Announcements may contain special instructions and requirements. Complete a separate application for each job unless the announcement states otherwise.
Important – Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application and applications without the supplemental questionnaire will not be accepted.
Applications can be submitted by email – Tricia Wiechmann, Human Resources Director firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to City Hall, ATTN:
500 4th Avenue NE
Austin, MN 55912
Duties of the Human Resources department include:
- Serving as the City’s contact for the hiring process including – advertisement, receiving applications of employment, application review and interviewing process
- Maintenance of personnel files and contact for employee/employment relations
- Provide oversight and administration of employee labor agreements and participate as a management team member in the negotiation process
- Provide benefit oversight, coordination and assistance to employees and providers (health/life insurance, flexible spending, etc.)
- Ensure state and federal mandates related to personnel issues are being followed/implemented
- Provide employment verification (includes position title, employment starting & ending dates and salary)
- Serve as the City’s safety manager
- Serve as the liaison to the Human Rights Commission and Police & Fire Civil Service Commissions
Fulltime Temporary Street Maintenance
Wage range: $15.00 – $20.00/hr.; depending upon experience and qualifications.
Essential duties include; perform street patching, sealing, sealcoating, snowplowing, loading, hauling, street sanding and salting and cleaning. Perform required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew.
Minimum requirements include; a high school diploma or GED equivalent, valid state driver’s license, with CDL Certification preferred, along with experience in construction and maintenance.
Application and supplemental questionnaire may be obtained from the links below. Application deadline is Friday, May 7, 2021.
2021 Engineering Summer Intern – Anticipated start date – May, 2021
Wage range $13.00 – $16.00
The City of Austin is seeking a highly motivated, hardworking individual for a paid summer internship in our engineering department. The internship will be for the duration of the 2021 summer season; dates to-be-determined based on selected candidate (i.e., in conjunction with school end/start dates). General work schedule will be Monday – Friday, typically 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM; 40 hours per week.
The successful candidate will assist the engineering department staff with the implementation of street reconstruction projects. The intern will assist in construction surveying and inspection, as well as assist in maintaining records of City infrastructure and collection of data. Our intern will be sure to gain a well-rounded experience of construction and civil engineering through these responsibilities.
Minimum Qualifications – High School graduate with desire to work in the civil engineering or construction field. Must have a valid Minnesota driver’s license.
Preferred Qualifications – Enrolled in coursework towards a degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology. Experience in surveying or construction and proficiency in computer software such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, Excel.
The anticipated start date is May 2021, with exact date dependent on candidate selection. Interested candidates should complete a City of Austin application, provide a current resume and cover letter indicating the reason for their interest in the internship. Wage range is $13.00 – $16.00 and is dependent on experience and/or education.
Applications will be reviewed as submitted; applicants are encouraged to apply early. City of Austin, ATTN: Human Resources, 500 4th Avenue NE, Austin, MN 55912 or by to email@example.com.
The City has multiple seasonal job openings in our parks and public works departments!! All positions are open until filled.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early!
- Park maintenance/flower maintenance – $10.25 – $13.00/hr.
- Depending on position, schedules range Monday – Sunday; typically, 40 hours/week. Types of work include: push mowing, weed-eating, restroom cleaner, park & garbage pick-up, tree crew laborer, ballfield maintenance, landscaping/planting and flower watering 15-30 hours per week (depending on weather). Must be 16 years old and up with a current driver’s license (depends on position).
- Street maintenance – $10.25 – $11.50/hr.
- Generally, Monday – Friday (days), most often 40 hours/week. General laborer working in the areas of street repair, arena maintenance and sign/road painting assistant.
- Lifeguard, sub-lifeguard & lesson instructor – $11.00 – $14.50/hr.
- Lifeguards need to be certified; swim lesson instructors do not need to be lifeguard certified. Schedule varies as necessary for summer pool operation.
- Pool attendant & concession stand – $10.25 – $13.00/hr.
- Must be at least 15 years old, includes admissions, concessions, top slide attendant. Schedule varies as necessary for summer pool operation.
- Todd Park Concession stand – $10.25 – $13.00/hr.
- Must be at least 15 years old, schedule is nights and weekends.
- Todd Park Closer – $12.00 – $13.50/hr.
- Must be at least 16 years old with valid driver’s license. Position is nights and weekends, and 20-30 hours per week. Types of work includes: dragging/raking fields after field use, picking up garbage and helping out in concession stand, if needed.
- Recreation coaches – $10.25 – $13.00/hr.
- T-ball, softball, soccer, track, golf and Rolling Rec (rotate parks throughout the summer)
The City of Austin has an opening for a school crossing guard and the potential need to create a list for substitute crossing guards. This position performs routine outdoor public safety work to ensure the safe passage of school-aged children across an assigned outdoor intersection each day school is in session. The assigned times are typically the one hour prior to the start of the school day and one hour at the end of the school day. The starting/ending times may vary with late starts and early release days based on the school schedule as determined by Austin Public Schools.
Pay is $11.00 per hour. Qualified candidates must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, be able to successfully complete a background investigation and able to withstand working outdoors. Position open until filled.
Join our Team! What it means to be a member of the City of Austin Fire Department
If you are applying for an open (advertised) position, please see the application materials that are available under the open positions tab for the specific position you are applying.