Police FAQs

Police FAQs

What are the requirements for retaining my animal from the shelter? The Community Service Officers are the primary caretakers of the shelter and animals. One may call the law enforcement center to speak with a CSO to gather more information or link to the CSO section for pictures and information.

A person may call to report a disturbing noise at any hour throughout the day. Examples of violations would be loud music coming from residences/vehicles/businesses, etc. Fines/Fees may range to be approximately $100.00 for each violation.

A vehicle may be legally parked for 12 hours on a city roadway without moving it before action is taken. If a vehicle is observed violating such an ordinance, an Officer may mark the vehicle to establish if the vehicle has been moved after a complaint, issue a citation, and/or have the vehicle towed.

Yes. It is unlawful to operate any vehicle greater than 15 mph within a city park. Nor should a vehicle be driven off the roadway or parking area within the park.

All persons should abide by laws and regulations set forth by the Department of Natural Resources, in addition to some city ordinances. No motorboat except those operated by an electric motor should be operated upon any body of water within the city before 9:00 am and after sunset on weekdays, or before 12:00 noon and after sunset on Saturdays and Sundays. All motorboats should travel counter-clockwise on East Side Lake at all times.

It is unlawful of the owner of any animal (dog or cat) to allow their animal to run at large. Such animals should be restrained and controlled by a competent person. Fines could be awarded in the area of $100.00 for such an offense. An offender may also have to pay for impoundment fees if the animal is placed at the pound.

It is unlawful for minors under the age of 16 to be on public roadways, property, or places of amusement/entertainment between the hours of 10:00 pm and 5:00 am the following day, unless accompanied by a parent/guardian. And it is unlawful for minors between the ages of 16 years and 18 years to be on public roadways, property, or places of amusement/entertainment between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 5:00 am, unless accompanied by a parent/guardian.

Police reports may be picked up at the Law Enforcement Center during normal business hours Mon. – Fri. 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Car crash reports are free to those involved only. All other reports three pages or less are free, with a processing fee of $1.00 for four pages plus $.25 for each additional page.